Scarring is almost always inevitable every time an incision is made to your skin. While there’s no way for you to completely avoid scarring altogether, there are steps you can take to reduce their appearance after the procedure of your choice here at our Encino cosmetic surgery practice. In addition, Dr. Malamet’s expertise and advanced surgical techniques have been proven to help make scarring appear less noticeable.
Below is a quick guide to help minimize the appearance of scarring after plastic surgery:
- Quit smoking 4 to 6 weeks before the procedure. The blood constricting effects of smoking reduces the amount of oxygen delivered into the surgical site which in turn could lead to poor healing. Obvious scarring is one of the consequences of poor healing.
- Keep the incision site dry and infection-free as much as possible. Stick to wound care instructions such as the number of times you need to change the bandages.
- Limit sun exposure as much as possible as ultraviolet radiation is a contributing factor to the appearance of scars.
- Eat majority of your foods from whole food sources that will help facilitate quick healing such as vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, and fruits. Put special emphasis on your protein intake as it plays a significant role in skin repair.
- Get enough rest and sleep as both of them are your body’s way of recovering well. Excellent recovery means less chances of scarring!
If you’d like to learn more about recovering well from plastic surgery, including how to minimize scarring, we encourage you to get in touch with us today! Call us at 818.380.3130 or fill out this contact form to set up an appointment. We look forward to your visit!