Dermal fillers are pretty commonplace these days. People in the know about the aesthetic world know the brand names such as Juvederm and Radiesse. Dermal fillers have only been around a little over a decade. They debuted in 2006 when a new product called Restylane was approved by the FDA for treatment of nasolabial folds and marionette lines.
Since then the Restylane family of dermal fillers has expanded into a variety of different products, each with different target areas. Dr. Malamet offers the entire Restylane line in his Encino offices.
Restylane is known as a “natural filler.” This is because it is made of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the human body whose job is to hydrate and plump the skin. It does this in a big way — hyaluronic acid can bind with 1,000 times its weight in water! One reason we form creases and lines is that, as we age, our bodies produce less collagen, but also less hyaluronic acid.
Here is the full line of Restylane products. We offer all five dermal fillers in the Restylane® family. All are hyaluronic acid fillers and are intended for different areas of the face.
- Restylane® — After it’s approval by the FDA in 2006, Restylane®immediately became popular for addressing marionette lines, nasolabial folds, and other wrinkles by adding volume beneath the wrinkle or crease and pushing the surface skin upward. Its results last up to one year.
- Restylane-L® — Restylane-L is Restylane® with Lidocaine added for comfort.
- Restylane®Silk — Restylane® Silk is an alternative to Juvederm Volbella. It is used for subtle lip enhancement and the correction of vertical lip lines. It provides results for around six months.
- Restylane®Lyft — Restylane® Lyft adds volume to the cheeks and corrects smile lines. It is an alternative to Juvederm®
- Restylane®Refyne —Restylane® Refyne was approved by the FDA in December 2016. This new addition to the Restylane® line (along with Defyne, see below) is used to correct smile (marionette) lines and nasolabial folds. Refyne is specifically formulated to treat mild to moderate lines and wrinkles. Galderma has cross-linked the gel in Restylane® Refyne and Defyne to help support the patient’s natural expressions — for real-life results that help maintain natural movement when smiling, frowning, or otherwise moving your mouth.
Approved along with Refyne, Defyne also specifically targets nasolabial folds and marionette lines. The difference is that Defyne is designed for use on moderate to severe creases and lines. Both Refyne and Defyne provide results that last up to one year.
Restylane is the original, and still probably the most popular dermal filler on the planet. Do you want to put one of the Restylane fillers to work solving your problems with volume loss? Call Dr. Malamet at our Encino offices, (818) 380-3130, to make an appointment.