Breast augmentation reigned supreme in 2012 as the most frequently performed surgical cosmetic procedure. However, liposuction stole the crown in 2013 when it went up by 16.3 percent from its 2012 figures. With the increasing demand in liposuction, the number of clients inquiring about the procedure at our practice have also risen. During their first-time visits, it’s not uncommon for men and women alike to ask about the possibility of skin dimpling and similar irregularities following liposuction. If you’ve been wondering the same thing, read on below!
How Skin Dimpling Looks Like
On a whole, the main goal of liposuction is to remove excess pockets of fat in the body — from muffin tops to bat wings to love handles. As opposed to the smooth and taut appearance that is expected following liposuction, skin dimpling is exactly the opposite — it looks lumpy and pocketed, just like cellulite.
Why Skin Dimpling After Liposuction Happens
The following are the most common causes of dimpling following fat removal:
- Unstable body weight prior to the procedure. It is highly recommended that one should maintain their ideal body weight for at least 3 to 6 months before liposuction.
- The amount of fat removed. Taking large amounts of fat in one body part can increase one’s risk of dimpling.
- Skin elasticity. Individuals with poor skin elasticity are more prone to dimpling following liposuction as their skin will have a difficult time adhering to its new contours.
- Uneven removal of fat. This is largely dependent on the liposuction skills of the plastic surgeon.
How to Prevent and Treat Dimpling Post-Liposuction
Here at our practice, we encourage men and women who undergo liposuction to take the following steps to reduce their risk of dimpling following liposuction:
- Wear compression garments as instructed.
- Choose your plastic surgeon wisely. Go for the ones who are specifically skilled and highly experienced in both traditional and advanced techniques in liposuction.
- Massaging the affected area have been shown to prevent and correct mild cases of dimpling.
- Keep your weight stable for at least 6 months before liposuction.
- Skin tightening procedures such as laser treatments may be done post-liposuction for moderate to severe cases of dimpling.
If you’d like to figure out if liposuction is the ideal procedure for your cosmetic goals and current lifestyle, call us at 818.380.3130 or fill out this contact form today to set up an appointment with us.
Dr. Matthew Malamet serves patients from Encino, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, and surrounding areas. We look forward to your visit!Previous Post Next Post