Similar to BOTOX® Cosmetic, Dysport® is a purified substance that is used to weaken underlying wrinkle-causing muscles. As a competitor to BOTOX® Cosmetic, Dysport is also not designed to add volume like a dermal facial filler might, and relaxes underlying muscles to eliminate fines lines and wrinkles. While the comparison between BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport has shown only slight differences in the amazing results they both offer, Dysport has been shown to have a slightly better effect on lines between the eyebrows and crow’s feet. Since each patient with have a unique set of individual circumstances, Dr. Matthew Malamet uses both BOTOX® Cosmetic and Dysport to achieve the very best results for each individual patient.
The Dysport Procedure
First, Dr. Malamet will precisely target the wrinkle-causing muscles of the face. To preserve the ability to express emotions, it is important that only the wrinkle-causing muscles be targeted. Once the appropriate muscles have been identified, Dr. Malamet strategically injects Dysport into the muscles. This will cause the muscles to lose the ability to contract and thus will minimize any lines or wrinkles. The overall procedure is typically done in 15-20 minutes.
Dysport Key Facts
- Anesthesia: Topical Numbing Agent, Local Anesthetic
- Length of Procedure: 10 Minutes-45 Minutes
- Length of Stay: Patients generally return home shortly after the procedure
- Discomfort: Some minor swelling and discomfort
- Anticipate: Some minor swelling and redness, but daily activities can normally be resumed later in the day
- Final Results: Results evident within a number of days but final results visible within a couple of weeks
- Duration of Results: May last up to 6 months but can vary from patient to patient
Dysport can have an amazing effect on fine lines and wrinkles between the eyebrows and crow’s feet. The results of Dysport however are temporary, and repeated procedures will be necessary to maintain the amazing results. Much like BOTOX® Cosmetic, the importance of having a skilled surgeon perform these injections will go a long way in ensuring that the very best results are achieved.
If you would like to learn more about Dysport and whether it would be the best option to treat your fine lines and wrinkles, schedule a consultation with Dr. Matthew Malamet. He meets with each patient individually to address any questions or concerns that may come up prior to the actual procedure.