For patients who have grown tired of plucking, waxing and shaving, laser hair removal is a permanent hair removal procedure that can give patients the smooth and hairless appearance that they desire. Laser hair removal is commonly used to remove unwanted hair from the face, legs, armpits, bikini-line and other areas of the body that may grow unwanted hair. The pulses of the laser occur very quickly and can precisely target the roots of unwanted dark and coarse hairs without impacting the surrounding skin.
The Laser Hair Removal Procedure
In preparation for laser hair removal, patients should avoid plucking or waxing the areas they would like treated for roughly 6 weeks prior to undergoing laser hair removal. The reason for this is due to laser hair removal targeting the roots of unwanted hair that can be inadvertently removed with plucking or waxing. Patients should also avoid excessive sun exposure because it can make laser hair removal less effective.
Once the laser is appropriately calibrated to skin tone, hair color, hair thickness, and hair location, plastic surgeon Matthew Malamet, MD will start with a small area to ensure the proper settings are chosen. Once it is determined that the device is properly calibrated, Dr. Malamet will treat the entire area.
Laser Hair Removal Key Facts:
- Anesthesia: Topical Numbing Agent, Local
- Length of Procedure: 30 Minutes-2 Hours
- Length of Stay: Patients generally return home shortly after the procedure.
- Discomfort: Some minor swelling and discomfort.
- Anticipate: Some minor swelling and redness, but daily activities can be normally be resumed the following day.
- Final Results: You will see immediate results after your first session, but several sessions are required for complete and lasting results. Final results can take up to several weeks to become evident.
- Duration of Results: Lasting.
Among patients who have returned for an average of 3-5 sessions, over 90% of patients experience permanent hair loss in the treatment area. After each session, a combination of ice, anti-inflammatory creams and lotions, or cold water can help to minimize any discomfort experienced.
If you would like to learn more about laser hair removal and the effects that it can have on permanently eliminating hair growth, schedule a consultation with Dr. Matthew Malamet. He meets with each patient individually to address any questions or concerns that may come up prior to the actual procedure.